Here’s a simple order for prayer in the home. A candle may be lit to foster quiet devotion.
In the name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
2. A Morning or Evening Prayer, or another suitable prayer:
I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this night; and I pray You to keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please you. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.
I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray You to forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.
3. God’s Law: “The Ten Commandments show us our sin and how much we need a Savior.”
1. You shall have no other gods.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain.
3. You shall keep the day of rest holy.
4. Honor your father and your mother, that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.
5. You shall not murder.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is his.
4. A Prayer of Confession:
O Almighty God, merciful Father: I confess that I am by nature sinful, and that I have sinned against You through my own fault, in thought, word and deed. For the sake of the suffering, death, and resurrection of Your Son, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, forgive me all my sin, and bring me to everlasting life. Amen.
5. A Hymn may follow, and a Bible Story or Chapter.
6. The Apostles’ Creed: “The Creed teaches us about the One True God, our Maker, Redeemer, and Comforter, who is the source of every good for us in both body and soul.”
I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from there He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the Communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
7. The Lord’s Prayer: “The Lord’s Prayer directs us sinners where to find our help for the holy life of faith in Christ.”
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
The Lord Almighty order this day and all our doings in His + peace. Amen. OR: The Almighty and most merciful Lord, the Father, the Son + and the Holy Spirit bless and preserve us. Amen.